4.5.13

Kuratas (User Operated Mecha)

Kuratas is a rideable and user operated robot built by the Japanese company Suidobashi Heavy Industry. Billed as "the world's first giant boarding robot"[1], the Kuratas was unveiled when the website was opened in 2012.[1] It was demoed at Wonder Festival.[2]

The Kuratas robot was developed by artist Kogoro Kurata (whom the suit is named after), and roboticist Wataru Yoshizaki.
Kurata stated that he was inspired by the mecha that are frequently featured in anime, especially those of the series Armored Trooper Votoms, which he watched as a child.[3] "When I was a kid, I thought there were going to be giant robots in the future. But no matter how long I waited, people were only able to make small robots, like Asimo. Eventually, I thought ‘I can’t wait anymore,’ and set out to make one myself."[1] Kurata's goal was to create a piece of art that emulated the mecha he had watched growing up.
Yoshizaki was brought onboard the project to create the software for the robot's movement and pilot interaction.

Kuratas has a price tag of USD $1,353,500 (or ¥134,555,495, or €1,040,976) as of 25apr2013. [5]

No comments:

Post a Comment